25 minutes Cake
Amma used to make this burfi pretty often, especially when we had last minute guests coming over or during Diwali. This is a great recipe to make when you have very little time on hand and don’t want to run to the store to pick up ingredients exclusive to a recipe. The ingredients for this sweet would be available in most of our pantry’s. I have seen amma make this when we start distributing Diwali sweets and sweets in our very large containers start depleting. This takes exactly 25 minutes to make start to finish. Set the timer on and begin
Semolina – 1 cup
Desiccated unsweetened coconut – 1 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Ghee – 1 cup
Ground Cashew nut – 1 cup (use any kind of nuts you have at home)
Sugar – 2 cups
Cardamom- 1 pod, powdered finely
- Add all ingredients to a heavy bottomed pan
- Set the timer and start cooking on medium heat, stirring continuously
- Grease a tray with ghee
- The stirring gets difficult as you come close to the 18 minute mark, the sweet begins to thicken.
- You are almost there, when the sweet begins to the leave the sides of the pan.
- Pour on to the greased tray and when it is luke warm, cut in to small squares.
- Store in air tight container when it cools down.
This sweet can stay fresh for about 10 days, but I promise you, you won’t let it stay for that long.